Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Shepherdess Speaks...


The Road...the Risk

I remember walking this very road, wondering what might lurk in the shadows, or pounce on me when I reached the next bend. And…what might be waiting at the end of the road? It was narrow, not well traveled, and seemed somewhat risky to begin the journey at all. I could see nothing in the distance but winding road, no other person in sight. In fact, it seemed I was traveling by myself.

Like Pilgrim, I began my spiritual journey alone; glad to be rid of the burden on my back and walking away from the city of destruction. I soon met with fellow travelers on this same narrow path. Like me, they chose to take the risk and willingly made themselves vulnerable to whatever perils might befall them, knowing that loving, forgiving, and caring is always risky and often hurtful to an open heart.

But then, I heard footsteps, walking in the shadows; a quiet presence watching over me, guiding me, loving me. I knew this gentle spirit to be my Savior, Jesus, my Shepherd and Sovereign guide.

Still, He is there to lighten the dark places, and I glimpse Him in the sunny fields where flowers bloom. Whenever I encounter unexpected storms, dangers, or malicious enemies, He is there to rescue me with His amazing grace. The journey has been many years now and the road has been perilous and often perplexing, but the joys have far outweighed the sorrows and I would say; it was well worth the risk and I am glad I traveled this way. He is there…I hear His footsteps in the shadows.

RuthCarmichaelEllinger@2012

I Hear Footsteps, Walking in the Shadows

Talking about the good life

Friends, I've known it,

Had my home to ring with laughter

Heard my children in prayer,

Talking about the bad times

Oh, I’ve been there,

Had my world to crumble down

And only God would care…

You ask me about the mountains

Yes, I've climbed them,

Felt the sunshine on my shoulder

And the warm wind blow,

And you ask me about the valley,

Yes, I've been there

Had my heart to break in two

And felt the tear drops flow…

But I heard footsteps…

Walking in the shadows,

And a hand reaching out to tell me

He was there,

Yes, I heard footsteps

Walking in the shadows,

And a hand reaching out to tell me

He was there.

Yes, He was always there.

No comments:

Post a Comment