Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day thoughts...Looking back

MEMORIAL DAY...LOOKING BACK

This is the day we remember our American veterans, our Patriot ancestors, those who fought for liberty in theaters both domestic and abroad. We wonder at their courage, their ability to endure hardship and privation so that we may live free today and have another tomorrow.

Virtually all of my Patriot ancestors fought in the American Revolution and on the side of the Union during the Civil War. These two great conflicts on American soil helped to shape our American way of life.

In my most recent historical novel, SWORD OF THE WILD ROSE, the events preceeding the American Revolution are depicted in this work. We read about the characters, those brave men and women who felt libery was worth risking all they held dear. Here are a few quotes and thoughts from Sword of the wild Rose.

Note: Watch for my next historical novel, “Bear Hunter,” set in the early 1770’s and based on the colorful life of my Patriot ancestor, John Cutright, the “Bear Hunter.”

Those who fought for freedom...who believed in freedom

“I see for the last time, the shores of me homeland…and I remember all that I have lost...all that I have loved and known.

There is no place for me…nay, no country where I can live free, no place where I can unlock me heart and allow the tears to come.

For I am a man…a man who has lost his way, and I fear, I will not find it again. I don’t know where to start; nay…I don’t know where to start.

When will the sorrow end, where will hope begin? Will truth and light break through this terrible night?
 
Then…I saw her standing there…spinning circles in the snow while moonlight streamed across her hair and her eyes spoke without words …and she said to me…”you know,  there is a place where you can always go…come with me…come with me…”


The Battle to come 

A great majority of those who for for American Independence were common frontiersmen, settlers, those who sought freedom in a new land.

 The Longhunters


Our Cultural Legacy

“If ye think about it, lad, our cultural legacy plays an important part in making us who we are. I have always believed that we are the product of many different people and have a genetic propensity to lean in the direction of our ancestors. If they were rising stars, that helped us along, and if they were non-achievers, that slowed our progress. As the Bible says, ‘time and chance’ play into the grand scheme of things as well. God had to change some of us from many of the things that our ancestral legacy would have dictated for us -- and that, me friend, included me. Praise God for that!”
The Longhunter, Sword of the Wild Rose

 Marching to Freedom