Thursday, July 14, 2011

The day of “letting go” Can I wear my own shoes?


I remember vividly the day of “letting go.” One of our children had turned to me and said quietly, “Mom, can I wear my own shoes now?” I understood. It was time.


From their birth, God had entrusted my husband and me with the welfare of our children and I had done my best to stay on top of each child’s comings and goings. In their growing up years, I had devoted myself to overseeing their education, developing spiritual and moral character, instilling family values, ascribing to all that entailed raising children to be productive adults, citizens who were an honor to God and country.


Raising a family involves years of hard work. No one can dispute this fact. There are days filled with unforeseen twists and turns to work through. And now that the hard work is over, I am supposed to just...let go? Somehow, this trading of roles doesn’t seem quite right.


How could I ever turn my children over to God’s control or…to another human being who might undo all my hard work? This was an awesome challenge and one that every parent faces. Letting go is not easy, but it is always best to trust our children to God rather than bungle up the future along with relationships.


The knowledge that it was time to “let go and let God” arrived differently for each of our children. The arrival day was unique, singular, the Spirit of God leading me to that place where I didn’t want to go. This divine revelation came like soft summer rain for one child, like a lightening bolt and booming thunder for another, and no words were needed at all for one child, only silence and the sense that it was time.


“Come what may…they are yours, Lord.”


©Ruth Carmichael Ellinger 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment