Tuesday, July 12, 2011

THE SHEPHERD AND HIS GARDEN

LILIES WITH BOWED HEADS


My husband is not only a shepherd, but an avid gardener. He is passionate about plants; growing things, and prunes and removes only when absolutely necessary. His gardening habits are a source of contest between us, but most of the time, I let him win since he is the primary caregiver. I enjoy a well-manicured “planned” garden with flowers and shrubs neatly spaced, a place of organized loveliness. The shepherd, however, prefers a wild, “grow and let grow” until the stone pathways are overrun with blooms and the herb garden yields enough to last a lifetime. I find sweet basil, tarragon, and whatever else might need harvesting, hanging in the laundry room to dry.


Last evening, after the rain, I walked through the garden, my skirts wet with rainwater, enjoying the sweet fragrant whiff of a late gardenia blossom and the vivid color of crepe myrtle. The shepherd was moving some young crepe myrtle plants to pots. (Trust me, he wouldn’t throw them out), and he exposed a lily plant with two beautiful blooms. After working in the garden all evening, I noticed the lily had drooped, the two heads lying over on the stone edging. I stopped to see if the plants were broken and could see no damage.


“Why is the lily drooping over?” I asked my husband.

“Because it has lost a friend, the young myrtle that offered it shade and companionship has been relocated to the back garden,” he said.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“Yes, I’m serious. Plants like other plants growing around them. It is hard to grow alone. Plant friends offer shade and comfort. They droop and sometimes die without other plant friends around.”

“Will the lily die?” For the first time, I felt sorrow for a plant.

“If it is strong, it will come through to bloom again, but if it is weak and too sad, it will die.”

“You should have left the myrtle.”

He smiled at me and cocked his head, knowing I had ruthlessly pulled out many a plant and not blinked an eye.

“It had to be done,” he said simply. “Let’s watch the lily; see how strong she is.”

The Psalmist speaks of God being our shade, our shelter, our protector, our friend. I have a greater appreciation for the shadowing presence of the Lord, for friends who stand by me, offering shelter and comfort.


Two things: I have never prayed for a lily before.

I love my husband/gardener/shepherd more today. I understand his thoughts and I will be more patient.


Oh, Lord, be my shade, my shelter from the heat and fury of those who would hinder me; let your shadow fall over me on my right hand, that the sun may not smite me by day, nor the moon by night...”



Psalm 121

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment