Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Shepherdess Speaks...


  Into the storm...

The Preparation of the Heart 

The preparation of the heart and the answer of the tongue, is from the Lord.   
Proverbs 16:1

While searching through our library for a particular book, I dislodged several other books that tumbled to the floor. A letter fell from the pages of one book, a single sheet tucked in a card, kept for some forgotten reason. The date was July 1993, nineteen years earlier! 

Curiously, I studied the card. It was a rendering of a herd of buffalo heading into a storm. The skies were dark, intense, the approaching storm threatening. However, the lead buffalo was leading the herd directly into the center of the storm, a little ahead, ready for whatever lay in the shadowy storm. The notation from the sender read, “I wish to be more like you; steady in the face of the storm, leading others through.” I wondered at the words, trying to remember the reference.

How many times has God prepared the heart for what is to come, for what lies beyond our ability to see? I recall countless times when God orchestrated a unique and personal preparation, a divine work upon my heart. It is beyond my ability to comprehend His gentle caring for my needs, desiring that I should succeed in my spiritual journey. Even though I do not always understand His ways, I know that His love for me is real and I find Him in those private moments when, unknown to me, He orders my steps, walking before me in the misty and nameless beyond.

I sensed that God was preparing my heart for a storm. I must press into the wind and rain, go through the storm to the other side of the darkness. To run from it would be futile. I could never outrun those menacing clouds or go around the vast perimeter of the tempest. I must press into it, go directly through it, face its terrors, and conquer my fears.

Discovering the card and note nineteen years later was no accident. Once again, God was preparing my heart, showing me the way I must go. I would trust Him to guide me to the other side. I know that in my own humanity, I am not wise enough, not brave enough, not strong enough to find my way, but with God beside me, I am able. 

Ignorance, pride, and self-flattery would make me a poor judge of my own conduct in a stressful world, but God, who understands the heart, prepares it to receive the grace He offers, to triumph through every storm of life.
©ruthellinger2012
~~~