Tuesday, August 21, 2012


Be still and know that I am God 
Psalms 46:10

Wright snapped this photo while walking near Wildrose Cottage this month.
The "Red Admiral" lit on my shoulder where it stayed for several minutes. It had a message for me.

Be still, and know that I am God
 Psalm 46:10

We have in our spiritual flock, a number of impossible situations – problems so complex that I lay awake thinking of ways to resolve them. I explore the scriptures, read countless books on the subject, pray continually. I imagine what I might say to the individual in need. In short, I do everything in my human ability to work the problem out. Still, I find I am hopelessly limited in my efforts. It’s then I realize that only “Divine intervention”, a miracle in fact, will resolve the dilemma. In Psalm 46:10, we are commanded to “be still”, a sobering message to the child of God. This is an exhortation to cease from our own labors. 

Twice in recent years when spiritual storms threatened to overturn my frail little boat, a silent messenger in the form of a butterfly soothed my agitated spirit. While vacationing in the Scottish Highlands, a Red Admiral butterfly lit on my head, staying there for several minutes. I waited, not wanting to disturb the winged beauty. It seemed to whisper, “be still, be still.” All my feeble efforts to resolve life’s problems had failed. “Be still, be still.” I understood. I let go and let God work His own plan. The resolution came quickly then and peace was restored. While at Wildrose Cottage this month, another Red Admiral lit on my shoulder, staying for several minutes. Was God trying to tell me something?

Once again, I was trying to “help God” resolve what only He could do. “Be still, be still.” 

I must cease from working in my human ways and works. God’s plan is past human knowledge and our dependence must be upon Him alone. In this noisy, sinful world, we realize that we are finite and that God is infinite, unlimited. Study to be quiet, to stand still, to be still, to wait, to abandon our efforts, and to loose our hold on things. Just relax and let God…
God is able to do what we cannot accomplish in a lifetime of effort.

He is God, the ruler of the kingdoms of men, the all-powerful Creator of the Universe and all that we know and see. He will be there, for “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea…” Psalm 46:1-2

Be Still.

 

 Hiking in the Carringorms in the Scottish Highlands, this "Red Admiral" lit on my head. Is God trying to tell me something?  How strange and marvelous are God's ways!



 
The Shepherdess
 

No comments:

Post a Comment