Monday, August 13, 2012


Vintage lamp at Wildrose Cottage


Psalm 119:105
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path

When her grandchildren reached the age of 12, my paternal grandmother, Elizabeth Davidson Carmichael, presented the birthday child with a new red-letter edition Bible complete with color pictures and name embossed on the cover. Perhaps Grandma thought that twelve was an appropriate age to own a personal Bible or perhaps she reasoned that Jesus was twelve when he sought out the leaders of the temple to talk with them about the Holy Scriptures. Whatever the reason, it was with a Bible and a kiss that Grandma presented me with this special gift on my 12th birthday. She had written on the flyleaf in her own hand, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” PS 119:105.

Now, just what did that mean?

At that time, I wasn’t too impressed with this “spiritually practical” book and for many years, it remained buried in a drawer—a keepsake from my grandmother. But finally, after years of searching and groping in my own personal darkness, I picked up this same Bible and read:  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:32

This book became a light in my darkness. The light of the gospel had pierced through the gloom and shadows of my life and I understood what it meant to be truly free. I have been forever grateful and not a little nostalgic about this particular Bible.

Over the years, this Bible has traveled with me in my journeys until I put it away to prevent further damage to the well-worn cover. God’s word, the Bible, has truly been a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Grandma never knew how this wonderful gift had changed my life. After her death at the age of 86, I yielded my life and my will to my Savior, Jesus Christ and the Bible has been my constant companion since that day. 

“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

2 comments:

  1. That's a precious gift and a legacy. I appreciate the Godly influence my Grandmother was and pray that I will be one as well. I am so glad you stopped by! I am now your newest follower,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, your kind words brighten my day! How precious are our spiritual legacies -- the true treasures in life. Thank you for following and I trust my entries will be a blessing just as your site is such a beautiful place to visit.
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete