Monday, February 6, 2012

"Beating the air...


My grand-daughter, Alexandria

I belong to an “all ladies” exercise group designed to help us stay fit and healthy as we advance in age. Many women don’t bother with this aspect of life until they actually KNOW they better get with the program.

So…here we are, a group of mature age ladies endeavoring to stay healthy. If I attend at a certain time, there are two particular ladies who arrive together at this time, and as we progress around the room performing the various exercises for muscle tone and flexibility, I find opportunity to observe my peer group in action, or should I say…inaction?

Personally, I do not like to talk while exercising, but others do, talking to each other about everything imaginable. All have their routine and I am often puzzled over the fact that some ladies actually think they are exercising, unless they consider talking part of the exercise routine.

The two ladies to whom I am referring, stand on their exercise pads and punch the air as though striking at an invisible opponent. Nothing else on the body moves, just the, not to vigorous punching into the air. If one were a practicing pugilist or even if there were a punching bag hanging in front of them, their punching routine would not appear quite so futile. Watching them, however, offers me some amusement and helps pass the time quickly. Before I know it, I’ve completed the routine, all the while wondering if the ladies are gaining any ground in their battle with the air.

After sharing this rather amusing experience with my grand-daughter, she sent me an email with a very appropriate scripture verse from 1 Cor. 9:26, and it reads: "I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air."

How often do we find ourselves “beating the air,” punching at things that are not even there, wasting our energy on nothing, punching out at enemies that are only figments of our imagination. If we fight the good fight of faith, let our aim have purpose and the fight be skillful, worthy of a decisive victory and the real goal that is set before us.


No comments:

Post a Comment